[Distutils] Deprecate and Block requires/provides

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 18:03:08 CEST 2013

On 17 October 2013 16:53, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

> On Oct 17, 2013, at 11:49 AM, Michael Foord <fuzzyman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Package upload certainly worked, and that is what is going to be broken.
>

> So would you be ok with deprecating and removing to equal "this metadata
> silently
> gets sent to /dev/null" in order to not break uploads for what would have
> affected
> roughly 4% of the total new releases on PyPI in 2013.

What about emitting a warning on upload/download for deprecated
metadata and a warning on the PyPI page for the distribution?

I don't know whether it's possible to implement that server side or if
it would only apply to newer versions of distutils/setuptools etc. but
it would give people who are still uploading sdists with this metadata
a chance to make the fix in their own time rather than suddenly being
unable to release updates.

Cheers,
Oscar