[Distutils] Deprecate and Block requires/provides

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 01:44:16 CEST 2013

On 18 Oct 2013 08:55, "Donald Stufft" <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

> On Oct 17, 2013, at 6:50 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> And to me. A general "Evolution of PyPI APIs" process PEP could be a
very helpful thing to avoid having to rehash this discussion for every
change :)

> PEPapolza

One PEP, two PEP, three PEP, more PEP :)

It occurs to me the numbering for new process PEPs is different from
normal. Still, just a matter of looking at PEP 0 to pick the right
subrange.

>> Given that PyPI doesn't have releases as such, perhaps we could tie this
to the feature release cadence of pip? And officially recommend twine as
the upload tool over using distutils directly? (Is twine ready for that at
this point?)

> Possibly, but I think it probably makes more sense to just do date based.
Individual proposals can include special casings that depend on a release
of a piece of tooling if it makes sense for that proposal.

That works, too.

>> The only other thing I would add is that when previous output is
/dev/null'ed we may want to have a placeholder for a while with a link to
an explanation for the removal.

> A placeholder where? On the PyPI UX or something?

Yeah, I was thinking of the part at the bottom of the package info page
that currently displays this metadata.

Cheers,
Nick.

> Donald Stufft
> PGP: 0x6E3CBCE93372DCFA // 7C6B 7C5D 5E2B 6356 A926 F04F 6E3C BCE9 3372
DCFA