[Distutils] A portable version of pip

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 16:11:55 CEST 2013

On 21 October 2013 14:25, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> From what I can see 2 and 3 have been addressed in recent changes, but I couldn't tell from a quick reading whether 1 has been addressed (there have certainly been code changes in this area) or whether 4 has been addressed.

Yes, 3 in particular was the dev version change I mentioned.

With regard to 1 and 4, I was only really considering installation
from local wheels (the bootstrap case that ensurepip is aiming at) and
neither of 1 and 4 affect that. In particular anything that builds
from sdist needs a locally installed setuptools. It may be that
"everything else" works if a local setuptools is installed, but I
haven't tried.

The cert issue is more annoying (insofar as installing wheels from
PyPI *is* a reasonable thing to want to do) but the whole issue of
certificate management (particularly from zip files) is messy. This
may be a bug for requests to address, if they feel that running
requests from a zipfile is a valid use case. Personally, I'd just say
hang it and use pip's equivalent of "--no-check-certificate" (assuming
there is one, I can't see it right now, but there'd better be!).

There are certainly a lot of rough edges, and it may never be
"production quality", but I was surprised at how usable it was.

Paul

PS In pyzzer, is there a reason that -s on Windows couldn't default to
something (maybe just "#!python") that works for "the currently active
Python" out of the box so it matches Unix? Maybe with a separate
option to hard-code sys.executable for when you want to "freeze" the
binary to the interpreter you're using for the build (which would be
useful on Unix too)?