[Distutils] Removing dependency_links

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Tue Oct 29 10:45:27 CET 2013

On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 03:52:04PM -0700, Marcus Smith wrote:
> > So I asked the person I know, and this is what he said, "Yes, we have
> > to use it!  It's the only way to allow a package to install other
> > packages that aren't on PyPI-- for instance, a custom fork of a
> > library."
> >
> > Is there another approach or work-around he can be using?  What is the
> > "right" way for him to do it?
>
> e.g. you find a bug in SomeProject-1.4 on pypi (which is a dependency in
> your app install)
> fork it, fix it, and re-version it to SomeProject-1.4-myfork1, then package
> it, and place it in "/my/forks"
> and then "pip install --find-links=/my/forks/  my_app"

This is a useful feature and losing it would cause some measure of pain.
I tend to use this via find-links in buildout.cfg files.  Not just for
forks, but also for private packages not released to PyPI.

Specifying dependency_links in random packages' setup.py's is a
nuisance and I would rather it went away.  I always turn it off by
specifying allow-hosts = *.python.org in buildout.cfg

So, two different things here.  One is specified by the user who runs
pip (or some other installation tool).  The other is specified by the
package builder.  One is fine, the other is not.

Marius Gedminas
--
Never assume the reader has read the subject line.