[Distutils] AttributeError: 'tuple' object has no attribute 'split'

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 23:33:01 CET 2013

https://github.com/dpo/pykrylov/blob/ea553cdb287f6e685406ceadcb297fd6704af52d/setup.py

https://pypi.python.org/packages/source/s/setuptools/setuptools-1.1.6.tar.gz

> >>setuptools 1.1.6. I also tried "upgrading" Numpy (since I'm using Numpy
> >>distutils) by installing from their git repository, and I'm still
getting
> >>the same error.

> >>I don't know but I'm not totally clear what you mean. Previously you
> >>described multiple problems: with pip, setuptools and pykrylov. Have you
> >>successfully installed setuptools now?
> >>
> >>If the "same error" is with pykrylov's setup.py have you tried debugging
> >>it? E.g. 'python -m pdb setup.py install'
> >
> >"python setup.py install" works fine. It's the installation with pip
that returns the error message I mentioned. I was wondering if something in
setup.py didn't agree with pip/setuptools.

> >Yes I installed setuptools 1.1.6. But "pip install -e git://
github.com/dpo/pykrylov.git at ea553cd#egg=pykrylov" still returns
"AttributeError: 'tuple' object has no attribute 'split'".

> >I hope I'm making sense.
>
> Anybody can provide any help with this?

Run pip under pdb. Find the location of the pip script and run:
python -m pdb /path/to/pip install ...

Then find out which object has the wrong type and see if you can trace it
back to something in the setup.py.

Oscar