[Distutils] "Please use a mix of different-case letters and numbers in your password"

Antoine Pitrou antoine at python.org
Wed Sep 4 14:11:41 CEST 2013

Jim Fulton <jim <at> zope.com> writes:

> People (at least technical people) should use password managers.

I will gladly use a password manager on my personal computer, just *not*
on a computer which other people may access. In these cases it is important
to be able to choose a rememberable enough password, precisely because I
don't want the computer to store it.

> What annoys me is when a 40-character random password is rejected
> because it doesn't contain a number (or a capitalized character letter
> or whatever), when the same system would accept a 7-character
> password.

Yep, again: giving recommendations is good, but rejecting certain passwords
is just a pointless nuisance.

Regards

Antoine.