[Distutils] Comments on PEP 426

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 15:25:41 CEST 2013

On 4 September 2013 14:18, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> If such projects publish wheel files (modulo us getting the Linux file
> naming problem sorted), then the only people the build issues are
> likely to hit are those that force builds from source (like
> zc.buildout and Linux distributions).

Personally, I don't expect to see published wheels for some time yet.
So building from source (even if only once to make a locally published
wheel) will remain an important issue, and if we need
setuptools-compatibility to build wheels, that will mean projects
getting told "your project's setup.py fails when I try to do pip
wheel".

But as I say, this is all based on "if such projects exist"...

Paul