[Distutils] pypissh

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Wed Sep 4 21:14:30 CEST 2013

On Sep 4, 2013, at 2:36 PM, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>> Obligatory reminder that we (I) have no intention of supporting pypissh as we move into the Era of Warehouse.
>

> What *is* the Era of Warehouse, exactly? Is there any documentation which defines standards, interfaces etc., or a rough time frame/road map for such documentation? What are the deliverables? Is it expected that there could be multiple implementations of a standard, or just a single blessed implementation that everyone has to use? Does all or most of the discussion about Warehouse happen on this list, or does substantive discussion take place on some other list somewhere?
>
> Regards,
>
> Vinay Sajip

Rolling up answers to multiple questions in here.

1) Warehouse is the name of the software that will power PyPI 2.0.
2) Nothing about the future of Warehouse is set in stone and API
     breakages and the like will be discussed before hand.
3) The way the migration was going to work was posted to this list
     already (https://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2013-July/022096.html).
4) In regards to the PyPISSH I don't know exactly what tooling I want to replace it with, it might
     simply be a saner implementation of SSH Authentication, it might be TLS Client Certs,
     or OAuth Tokens. Personally I'm leaning towards TLS Client Certs and possibly OAuth
     tokens but that will be decided down the road.
5) There are no real discussions about Warehouse yet, there is a github repo with
     issues and I sound future ideas off a few folks as I process ideas I want to
     implement but that doesn't preclude eventual discussion about them.

Warehouse right now (which it's stalled waiting on some DB maintenance) is focused
primarily on reimplementing the API of PyPI 1.0 and then adding a UX ontop of that. New
features and new APIs and the like will come later and will be standards based and
discussed. I expect there can (and will) be multiple implementations of the standard but
there is not going to be much getting around the fact that the code that powers PyPI
is going to be the "standard" implementation. This does not mean that there won't be
a defined standard and hopefully the good folks making alternate implementations like
Holger's devpi will keep me to task for defining and documenting everything.

Also important to note that I do not consider the UX to be something that requires
discussion to change. This is somewhat harder with PyPI which doesn't separate UX
and API but that will be replicated for API usage but not for UX usage in Warehouse.

If I missed anything just reask it or I can clarify points as well.

Donald Stufft