[Distutils] Comments on PEP 426

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 15:17:41 CEST 2013

Omitting context, as I mainly just wanted to note the setuptools file
formats are reasonably well defined, independent of the current
implementation:
https://pythonhosted.org/setuptools/formats.html#standard-metadata

I've actually been wondering if it may be worth doing 1.1 versions of both
wheel and the installation database which explicitly call out these
formats, as even after metadata 2.0 is completely stable, we'll still
support these for backwards compatibility with 1.x metadata.

If pip can get to the point of only needing to inject setuptools for the
"develop" case, that would be a really nice improvement (although, as noted
previously, I don't believe it's a requirement for the bootstrapping
described in PEP 453)

Cheers,
Nick.