[Distutils] PEP 453 Round 2 - Explicit bootstrapping of pip in Python installations

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Tue Sep 17 04:20:09 CEST 2013

On Sep 16, 2013, at 8:08 AM, Oscar Benjamin <oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh okay. So basically the normal thing is that pip just gets installed
> automatically when you install Python. For most people the whole of
> the "explicit bootstrapping" described in the PEP is an implementation
> detail that occurs *implicitly* during installation? The only point of
> relevance from a user perspective is that running the installer
> without a network connection leaves you with an older version of
> pip/setuptools.

Yes, ideally a user will never have to invoke it manually. However we can't
control what the downstream distributors do so for some Linux versions
they may have to invoke it (or use system packages if pip is there).

It also works as a nice fallback if you somehow end up with pip uninstalled
on a system that doesn't have something like apt-get to get it back.

And yes by default the online/offline stuff is behind the scenes for the typical
user and they'll get the latest version of pip during install that we can
locate.

Donald Stufft