[Distutils] PEP 453 Round 2 - Explicit bootstrapping of pip in Python installations

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 06:42:46 CEST 2013

On 16 September 2013 18:07, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 6:33 PM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
>> So there've been a number of updates to PEP453, so i'm posting it here again for more discussion:
>
> Just want to say that It is good to see that over three year `pip` has
> gained strength to be the tool of choice for Python package
> management. My attempt to propose this three years ago had failed,
> because there was no package management tool people could agree to,
> even though the proposal was for the interactive user script that
> could recommend all :
> https://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2010-March/015894.html
>
> So, why PIP?

The design of pip is heavily based around addressing various issues
with the design of easy_install, while still providing equivalent
functionality. The last big missing piece was an updated alternative
to the binary egg format that supported FHS compliant installation,
and that was addressed in pip 1.4 with the initial version of pip's
wheel support.

The amicable resolution of the setuptools/distribute split (with
distribute merging back into setuptools and development moving to the
PyPA account on BitBucket) also makes it easier for python-dev to
officially bless pip as the default installation tool, which people
can use unless/until they need something with more sophisticated
handling of external dependencies (like zc.buildout or conda).

Cheers,
Nick.