[Distutils] Deviation between distutils and setuptools over package_data

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Sep 20 14:15:43 CEST 2013

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 6:41 AM, Marius Gedminas <marius at pov.lt> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 04:43:23PM +1000, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>> On 20 September 2013 00:02, Benjamin Root <ben.v.root at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I will point out that even with setuptools 1.1.6, sdist isn't picking up all
>> > the files in version control, as I have a few other files under version
>> > control in my package that I didn't list for package_data. So, I still think
>> > there is an issue with crawling an SVN 1.7 repository.
>>
>> That part I have no idea about :)
>
> I would recommend not relying on setuptools version control magic.
> Instead write a MANIFEST.in.

It appears that MANIFEST.in is ignored if setuptools recognizes your
VCS.  Although there's so much magic in this particular facet of
setuptools that I never have much confidence in my understanding.

Did setuptools recently learn about git?  For a while, an advantage of
git was that setuptools ignored it.

I would love an option to ignore VCS and let me specify what I
want *explicitly*.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton