[Distutils] Deviation between distutils and setuptools over package_data

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Fri Sep 20 17:11:06 CEST 2013

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 10:16:28AM -0400, Tres Seaver wrote:
> On 09/20/2013 09:11 AM, Sebastien Douche wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 2:15 PM, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
> >> I would love an option to ignore VCS and let me specify what I want
> >> *explicitly*.
> >
> > Or remove the handling of VCS?
>
> -1.  I haven't yet tried Marius' tool, but manually maintaining
> MANIFEST.in is an unaceptable bug magnet.

Heh.  I wrote check-manifest because relying on setuptools's handling of
VCS was an unacceptable bug magnet to me.

(New svn working tree format _or_ you forget to install setuptools-git
on this one machine?  No error, just a broken sdist.)

BTW if you use zest.releaser, check-manifest plugs into it and stops the
release (well, asks if you REALLY want to continue, defaulting to "No")
if your MANIFEST.in doesn't match your VCS.

Marius Gedminas
--
It was the kind of night on which bad novels began.
	-- 1634: The Galileo Affair by Eric Flint and Andrew Dennis