[Distutils] Problem: couldn't find a setup script in C:\Users\[user]\[package]

Martin Fiers martin.fiers at intec.ugent.be
Mon Sep 30 11:19:04 CEST 2013

Hello! When a folder inside a user's home directory has the same name as
a package, then installation fails.

*What steps will reproduce the problem?*
1. On a Windows system, start with a vanilla python, with pip not installed
2. Create the folder pip in C:\Users\[username] (so now there's a folder C:\Users\[username]\pip)
3. run easy_install pip

(the error is reproduced with any other package as well, as long as there's a home folder).

*What is the expected output? What do you see instead?*
pip is installed
Instead, this gives the error:
Couldn't find a setup script in /home/[username]/pip

*What version of the product are you using? On what operating system?*
Windows 7, Python 2.7.5, with ez_setup.py called so setuptools is installed.

*Please provide any additional information below.*
This is rather annoying, since our software creates a folder in the user's home directory.
But also the pip packages creates a log folder. So when I accidentially remove pip and want to
re-install, easy_install does not work.

Thanks very much,
Martin