[Distutils] unparseable sdist filenames

Marcus Smith qwcode at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 22:11:40 CEST 2013

> The setuptools.package_index API, however, *does* support parsing
> sdist names, it's just that it generates a *list* of possibilities,

oh, ok, "setuptools.package_index.distros_for_url"

> Thus, tools using this API can contextually decide which to consider
> the "real" interpretation, based on context.  This method is used by
> easy_install; I don't know if pip does as well.

how will context decide between the version being "dev" or "xdist-dev"?

> - pip will accept this as a "pytest" archive and install it potentially if
> > no other version matches greater.
>
> Does it also accept it as "pytest-xdist"?

yes. without getting into too many details, pip basically searches for
matches by comparing the archive name with "<requirement>-".
I.e when looking for "pytest" archives, match on "pytest-".  and the
version is the rest.