[Distutils] install_requires vs. requires_dist, and setup.cfg

Marcus Smith qwcode at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 06:59:35 CEST 2014

> From what I understand in PEP 345, "Requires-Dist" is the name in PKG-INFO
> files for a distribution's dependencies on other distributions.

setuptools/distutils has never implemented "Requires-Dist" from PEP345 for
PKG-INFO.
Otoh, wheel has, combined with PEP376, so you'll see it in *.dist-info
METADATA files, when installing from wheels.

 install_requires is the name of the keyword argument to setup() that
> specifies a dependency on another distribution.

yes

> Sanity-check: This doesn't mean that one should call setup() with a
> "required_dist" keyword argument, right?

right

As I understand it. the setup.cfg revolution never happened,

right, see http://packaging.python.org/en/latest/future.html

> Also, I just created a trivial setup.py that contains an
> "install_requires" and doing "python setup.py develop --user" does seem to
> have created a PKG-INFO file, but it doesn't have a "Requires-Dist" line.

look for the "requires.txt" file.  the dependency is in there.