[Distutils] What is the syntax for passing conditional non-extra dependencies in setuptools?

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 21:09:05 CEST 2014

I think setuptools' :-separated environment markers mechanism is
great, and shouldn't need to be ratified anywhere. I also think the
actual environment markers specification is stable, although I noticed
the IPython wheel for example is using the deprecated .-separated
rather than _-separated identifiers.

These kinds of conditionals are obviously an important feature for
wheel and replace a common if/else statement inside setup.py, but can
only be specified in wheels by placing a copy of the requirements in
setup.cfg. It would be better if bdist_wheel could also just translate
the setuptools requirements.txt to its own format.

I assume extras_require = { ":sys_platform='win32'" :
"wincertstore==0.2" } would be likely to specify a non-extra (the
extra named '' or None?) dependency?