[Distutils] Enterprise Python - Multicomponent Projects

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 22:29:51 CEST 2014

On 16 April 2014 13:32, Brian Wickman <wickman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Pants can definitely do what you want, but you're probably right in that it
> requires significant up-front investment.  It's not strictly tied to PEX
> files (it can recursively generate setup.py-based projects from a transitive
> closure of BUILD dependencies) but the learning curve is non-trivial and
> most attention is given to the Java/Scala backends.  Python support will
> improve over time but it may be a year or more before this is really easy to
> adopt.

It also depends heavily on whether cross-platform support is needed.
Fedora uses koji for this kind of thing, for example, as that's a
general purpose RPM build system, which handles Python along with
everything else.

The conda/binstar.org approach created by Continuum Analytics handles
the same issue from a cross-platform perspective.

Cheers,
Nick.

P.S. For folks that may sometimes wonder at the high level of
complexity in the metadata 2.0 specs, this kind of use case has a lot
to do with it. I want metadata 2.0 to work not only for the "direct
consumption of upstream packages" model favoured by
Software-as-a-Service developers,  but also to integrate cleanly with
downstream redistributors (whether Linux distros, redistributors like
Enthought, ActiveState and Continuum Analytics or custom in-house
deployment mechanisms).