[Distutils] Round 6 - PEP 440 - Version Identification and Dependency Specification Version

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 20:51:28 CEST 2014

On 9 August 2014 18:50, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
> Does: file:///c:/WINDOWS/clock.avi work?

Never mind, it's my mistake. Reading the docs more closely, "Convert
the path component path from a percent-encoded URL to the local syntax
for a path. This does not accept a complete URL." (Note that second
sentence...)

>>> url2pathname("///c:/WINDOWS/clock.avi")
'C:\\WINDOWS\\clock.avi'

Looks like the PEP would be covered by referring to
pathname2url/url2pathname (with a note that you strip the "file:"
prefix for idiots like me ;-)) and giving a couple of examples.

FWIW, it looks like file:////myserver/share/WINDOWS/clock.avi is how
you'd refer to \\myserver\share\WINDOWS\clock.avi. See what I mean
about the slashes? I can't rationalise the 4 slashes here resulting in
two backslashes, when the 3 slashes above disappear entirely...

Paul.