[Distutils] Packages that have problems being installed from wheels

David Genest david.genest at ubisoft.com
Wed Aug 27 17:42:21 CEST 2014

> 1. Post-install steps included in setup.py. That should be covered by the
> support in Metadata 2.0. I'd also be interested in how much of an issue
> omitting the postinstall would be in practice (for instance many such steps
> just set up "Start Menu" type shortcuts, which are not essential for the
> package to be usable).

On windows, we use wheel convert to convert binary installers like pywin32 to wheels. But the post-install step in the setup is mandatory  for pywin32 to work (it is not a mere Start Menu customization).

So this is what we do:
wheel convert  pywin32-217.win32-py2.7.exe
pip install pywin32-217-cp27-none-win32.whl

In this case pywin32_postinstall.py is not run and we need to run it manually.

I do not know the specifics, but pywin32 predates wheels, I don't know if it can be made to be installed so simply.

D.