[Distutils] Are there any plans to move to pip/wheels in buildout?

Leonardo Rochael Almeida leorochael at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 14:10:43 CET 2014

On 2 December 2014 at 10:53, Reinout van Rees <reinout at vanrees.org> wrote:

> [...]
>

> Something I don't understand here is that there *is* a single version
> list. And so it feels like it doesn't really matter that much if you just
> lump all the packages together (like pip does).

FWIW, In the past I did mention that it would be nice if there was a way to
specify a different `[versions]` section per part that would layered on top
of the original `[versions]`. The APIs used could easily accommodate that,
last I checked. I'm still waiting for the round tuits to implement it in a
fork for a pull-request.

> I could imagine a buildout that just uses pip every time it has to install
> a python package. Feeding pip the version list, of course. And then puts
> the buildout.cfg mechanism on top of it.

[...]

I could imagine a buildout that uses distlib to install wheels in a
per-distribution directory (i.e. allowing multiple versions of the same
wheel to coexist). These directories would be then added to sys.path in the
script wrappers like buildout usually does.

Regards,

Leo