[Distutils] Are there any plans to move to pip/wheels in buildout?

Randy Syring randy at thesyrings.us
Wed Dec 3 15:32:35 CET 2014

On 12/03/2014 09:01 AM, Jim Fulton wrote:
>    Many users, like myself, download source releases exclusively, and
>    to us, wheels are irrelevent.  However, users on Windows or who use
>    systems without build tools for some reason, will experience
>    breakage as soon as people stop creating traditional binary releases
>    in favor of wheels.

Does that have to be the case?  As one of the maintainers of pymssql, we
are in the process of figuring out what type of packages we want to ship
as maintainers.  Wheel's can be binary releases and, in fact, is what we
are going to build for Windows support going forward.  That may
certainly frustrate some automated processes that expect the old package
types we used to ship, but we absolutely want to support binary releases
with wheels specifically to support users that don't have build tools.

Am I missing something about binary support with wheels?

Thanks.

*Randy Syring*
Husband | Father | Redeemed Sinner

/"For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world
and forfeit his soul?" (Mark 8:36 ESV)/