[Distutils] Are there any plans to move to pip/wheels in buildout?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Dec 3 17:19:30 CET 2014

On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 11:14 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3 December 2014 at 16:05, Daniel Holth <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Wheel also has its own installer. It hasn't received as much attention
>> since pip gained support.
>
> That's actually a very good point - the wheel project has its own
> "install a wheel" API, not just the command line tool. If that's all
> buildout needs, it may be a simple way of adding wheel support. If
> buildout needs "the other stuff" that pip/setuptools provides, around
> discovery and downloading from PyPI, version/requirements checking,
> script wrappers, etc, then that's a bigger issue of course.

Yup. Buildout uses setuptools to find distributions.

I suppose the wheel installer library could facilitate adding wheel
support to setuptools.  Maybe someone on the buildout team should
look at that.  My guess is that adding discovery of wheels in indexes and
such probably isn't that hard.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton