[Distutils] Are there any plans to move to pip/wheels in buildout?

Matthew Iversen matt at notevencode.com
Sun Dec 7 10:28:02 CET 2014

Between setuptools / wheel / pip / virtualenv there is actually a good case
for a shared common code project to vendor from. The easiest example of
functionality contained within this would be version parsing, although
there are a number of other features as well (eg installing a wheel).

Currently the case is that this is half done by pip vendoring setuptools'
pkg_resources.py although I think it would be of great benefit to all
projects to formalise this situation into a new discrete codebase in the
future. Distlib is a candidate project to fulfill this role but it would
need a good bit of vetting beforehand AFAIK.

Pip doesn't offer any api mainly because is too messy / large / would take
away too much time for the developers to spend time creating a good api
that we could stick to. Sort of "We'd love to, but have you seen the issue
list... :(".

In that respect that is actually the use case that distlib aims to provide.
Pip currently uses distlib's code to install wheels.

That said I'd reiterate Donald's comment that we'd love to see a
wanted-functionality list from projects like buildout for such a
hypothetical official future utility project.