[Distutils] setuptools 8 changes are great, but ...

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Mon Dec 15 19:41:50 CET 2014

+1 - I think thats a great idea. We've had to pin < setuptools 8 in
the OpenStack ecosystem too.

It would have been nice to offer some period of time where the cases
which were going to change would have warned. I realise thats
non-trivial, but this is systemic infrastructure at the core of our
dependency graph - everything that expresses requirements is affected.

-Rob

On 16 December 2014 at 07:27, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
> I think the changes in version management in setuptools 8 are a great
> step forward,
> but I think the transition is going to hurt a lot.
>
> For buildout, I'm thinking of of releasing 2.3.1 that reverts the
> changes in 2.3 and
> adds a requirement for setuptools <8 to give more time to respond to
> these  changes.
>
> Jim
>
> --
> Jim Fulton