[Distutils] setuptools 8 changes are great, but ...

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Dec 15 19:51:31 CET 2014

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

>> On Dec 15, 2014, at 1:27 PM, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
>>
>> I think the changes in version management in setuptools 8 are a great
>> step forward,
>> but I think the transition is going to hurt a lot.
>>
>> For buildout, I'm thinking of of releasing 2.3.1 that reverts the
>> changes in 2.3 and
>> adds a requirement for setuptools <8 to give more time to respond to
>> these  changes.
>
> Is there something I’m not aware that is broken currently? I thought the
> transition was going pretty smoothly overall considering that a core piece
> of code inside of setuptools was touched.

The problem is that version numbers and requirements aren't interpreted
the same way. I think that's going to take some time to sort out.  In
the mean time,
I'd like to try to stop the pain.

I think you've been very responsive and that's much appreciated.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimfulton