[Distutils] setuptools 8 changes are great, but ...

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Mon Dec 15 20:10:14 CET 2014

We're currently pinned -
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-December/052985.html
- we tried a fix, it broke things more, so we rolled it back and are
now working on a new one - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/141667/ -
which will simply *stop including version data* in our version
strings. As setuptools 7 and 8 are mutually incompatible, we can
either support this feature in 8 and break setuptools 7 use, or we can
support it in 7, and break installs on 8.

I haven't tracked *all* the details of this (I'm currently away from
home dealing with more estate cleanup :( ) - see the #openstack-infra
channel logs over the last 48hr or so for more details.

-Rob