[Distutils] setuptools 8 changes are great, but ...

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Dec 16 16:40:30 CET 2014

On 2014-12-16 18:11:12 +0300 (+0300), anatoly techtonik wrote:
> It would be more useful if the powers behind OpenStack could sponsor
> development of proper PEP scheme to untangle its own workflow instead
> of relying on imperfect PEP solutions that are being done by
> volunteers in their free time. I don't know where Donald finds his
> time for all his contributions, but in my world it is unreal even
> without full time job. Judging from activity in OpenStack community,
> maybe it can teach PSF a thing or two.

The way I see it, we're all volunteers. We voluntarily work on free
software and associated support infrastructure. Some of us are
simply lucky enough to find sponsors willing to pay us to do it full
time (and while I won't speak for Donald I get the impression he
feels the same, whether he's working on PSF or OpenStack projects).

As for PEP 440, I believe it's a necessary step forward in
untangling the previously ad-hoc state of versions in the Python
packaging ecosystem. Many of OpenStack's versioning decisions were
made specifically with Python tools and PyPI in mind, in a desire to
be a good Python community citizen, so it has been our (from the
standpoint of the people writing the integration tooling for it)
intent to continue to follow standards set by that community.
--
Jeremy Stanley