[Distutils] Release: pip 6.0 and virtualenv 12.0

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Tue Dec 23 12:37:09 CET 2014

> On Dec 23, 2014, at 3:55 AM, Chris Jerdonek <chris.jerdonek at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 12:44 AM, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe
> <tshepang at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Why the jump from 1.5.6 to 6.0?
>
> The release notes say (under "6.0"):
>
> "PROCESS Version numbers are now simply X.Y where the leading 1 has
> been dropped."
>
> (from https://pip.pypa.io/en/latest/news.html )
>
> I'm guessing this is to start honoring the convention (e.g. from
> semver) that backwards incompatible changes should only be made when
> the major version number is incremented.
>
> --Chris

It’s a mixture of things.

* We don’t generally have massive breaking releases, we tend to deprecate
  things over time and remove them a few versions later. This means that each
  1.X+1 broke something that worked in 1.X.

* There was an allure to do a big "2.0" style breakage that this completely
  negates.

* Given the first item, what to do for the version after 1.9 was a question,
  we could just do 1.10 but given we didn't want to do a big 2.0 style breakage
  and we didn't have any plans to increment the 1, we'd likely just keep doing
  1.X+1 for a very long time.

---
Donald Stufft