[Distutils] PEP440 examples missing operator?

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Tue Dec 23 20:38:59 CET 2014

> On Dec 23, 2014, at 2:36 PM, Marcus Smith <qwcode at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Heh, that’s actually a hold over from before we made specifiers mandatory. That needs updated.
>
> you mean made operators mandatory?
> so the bit about "version identifier without any comparison operator" needs to be removed?

Yea.

Originally PEP 426 changed the syntax to be ``foo (==2.0)`` and such, and in that regards it made sense
to indicate a default operation for ``foo (2.0)``. However we removed them because:

* That syntax is backwards incompatible with the syntax that setuptools uses, and it’s sort of a pain to
  enter on the CLI.
* A default isn’t that useful, no matter what we pick it’s going to be wrong, originally PEP 386 had it
  equal to == (but a weird == that doesn’t make sense to me), then PEP 440 originally changed it to
  ~= but that doesn’t make sense for date based releases which would be better implemented as
  >= or >.

---
Donald Stufft