[Distutils] PEP440: >1.7 vs >=1.7

Chris Jerdonek chris.jerdonek at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 20:43:57 CET 2014

On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 1:20 PM, Marcus Smith <qwcode at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > * 1.7.1 matches >1.7 (previously it did not)
>>
>> This sounds like a straight up bug fix in the packaging module to me - the
>> PEP 440 zero padding should apply to *all* checks, not just to equality
>> checks, as you can't sensibly compare release segments with different
>> numbers of elements.
>
> OK.  to be clear, I guess you really didn't follow the previous thread?
> I specifically raised the concern over 1.7.1 not matching >1.7 (in the
> current implementation), but most people were arguing it was a logical
> interpretation of PEP440.

I think Nick's e-mail clarifies it for me.

In my e-mail, I was reconciling the current behavior with the current
wording of the PEP, which says, "Exclusive ordered comparisons are
similar to inclusive ordered comparisons, except that the comparison
operators are < and > and the clause MUST be effectively interpreted
as implying the prefix based version exclusion clause != V.*."

I now see that the wording is a bit ambiguous (or at least that I was
misinterpreting it).  I interpreted it to mean that prefix-based
version exclusion should be used *instead* of zero-padding, whereas
with Nick's e-mail, I see that the meaning is that prefix-based
exclusion should be used *after* applying zero padding.

The clarified interpretation also addresses an asymmetry of the
previously mentioned (and now apparently incorrect) "series"
interpretation, which I'm not sure was mentioned before.  Namely,
1.7.2 satisfies ">=1.7" but does not satisfy "<=1.7".  With the series
interpretation, the latter wouldn't be consistent (since 1.7.2 is part
of the series under that interpretation).

--Chris