[Distutils] PEX at Twitter (re: PEX - Twitter's multi-platform executable archive format for Python)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 1 09:43:25 CET 2014

On 1 February 2014 18:23, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, 31/1/14, Brian Wickman <wickman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> There are myriad other practical reasons.  Here are some:
>
> Thanks for taking the time to respond with the details - they are good data points
> to think about!
>
>> Lastly, there are social reasons. It's just hard to convince most engineers
>> to use things like pkg_resources or pkgutil to manipulate resources
>> when for them the status quo is just using __file__.  Bizarrely the social
>> challenges are just as hard as the abovementioned technical challenges.
>
> I agree it's bizarre, but sadly it's not surprising. People get used to certain ways
> of doing things, and a certain kind of collective myopia develops when it
> comes to looking at different ways of doing things. Having worked with fairly
> diverse systems in my time, ISTM that sections of the Python community have
> this myopia too. For example, the Java hatred and PEP 8 zealotry that you see
> here and there.
>
> One of the things that's puzzled me, for example, is why people think it's reasonable
> or even necessary to have copies of pip and setuptools in every virtual environment
> - often the same people who will tell you that your code isn't DRY enough! It's
> certainly not a technical requirement, yet one of the reasons why PEP 405 venvs
> aren't that popular is that pip and setuptools aren't automatically put in there. It's a
> social issue - it's been decided that rather than exploring a technical approach to
> addressing any issue with installing into venvs, it's better to bundle pip and setuptools
> with Python 3.4, since that will seemingly be easier for people to swallow :-)

FWIW, installing into a venv from outside it works fine (that's how
ensurepip works in 3.4). However, it's substantially *harder* to
explain to people how to use it correctly that way. In theory you
could change activation so that it also affected the default install
locations, but the advantage of just having them installed per venv is
that you're relying more on the builtin Python path machinery rather
than adding something new. So while it's wasteful of disk space and
means needing to upgrade them in every virtualenv, it does actually
categorically eliminate many potential sources of bugs. Doing things
the way pip and virtualenv do them also meant there was a whole pile
of design work that *didn't need to be done* to get a functional
system up and running. Avoiding work by leveraging existing
capabilities is a time honoured engineering tradition, even when the
simple way isn't the most elegant way. Consider also the fact that we
had full virtual machines long before we have usable Linux containers:
full isolation is actually *easier* than partial isolation, because
there are fewer places for things to go wrong, and less integration
work to do in the first place.

That said, something I mentioned to the OpenStack folks a while ago
(and I think on this list, but potentially not), is that I have now
realised the much-reviled (for good reason) *.pth files actually have
a legitimate use case in allowing API compatible versions of packages
to be shared between multiple virtual environments - you can trade
reduced isolation for easier upgrades on systems containing multiple
virtual environments by adding a suitable *.pth file to the venv
rather than the package itself. While there's currently no convenient
tooling around that, they're a feature CPython has supported for as
long as I can remember, so tools built on that idea would comfortably
work on all commonly supported Python versions.

Cheers,
Nick.