[Distutils] PEX at Twitter (re: PEX - Twitter's multi-platform executable archive format for Python)

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Feb 1 10:36:20 CET 2014

On Sat, 1/2/14, Noah Kantrowitz <noah at coderanger.net> wrote:

> In all but a tiny number of cases, you could use a symlink for this.
> Much less magic :-)

That's "POSIX is all there is" myopia, right there. While recent versions
of Windows have symlinks more like POSIX symlinks, XP only has a
stunted version called "reparse points" or "junction points" which are
not really fit for purpose. I think you'll find that XP environments are found
in rather more than "a tiny number of cases", and even though Microsoft
has end-of-lifed XP in terms of support, I fear it'll be around for a while
yet.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip