[Distutils] restart-in-venv (was: PEX at Twitter (re: PEX - Twitter's multi-platform executable archive format for Python))

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 4 10:52:50 CET 2014

Carl Meyer <carl <at> oddbird.net> writes:

> Sadly I can't offer that specific problem, because AFAIK we never
> tracked it down. It was a recurring problem in IRC where people would
> report using -E and pip would fail to take its action within the

After posting my first response to your post, I remembered that Donald
had provided a link to the commit that removed the -E. From a quick look at
that commit, ISTM that distil's approach to restarting is somewhat easier
to reason about and debug than the approach taken by pip to implement -E:
it takes place before any of the rest of the logic in the restarted program
is run, so a question like "why didn't restart_in_venv get called, when it
should have been?" doesn't arise. There are no rabbit-holes to go down. The
approach in that snippet could apply to any script - it's not especially
distil-specific.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip