[Distutils] restart-in-venv (was: PEX at Twitter (re: PEX - Twitter's multi-platform executable archive format for Python))

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 17:47:26 CET 2014

On 5 February 2014 02:25, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> On Feb 05, 2014, at 01:05 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>
>>That only works if the system site packages is configured to be
>>visible inside the virtual environment - it usually isn't these days.
>
> Really?  I do this all the time.  It prevents downloading gobs of stuff from
> PyPI that my system already provides in reasonably up-to-date versions.

So do I - there's a bunch of RPMs in the system packages that are a
pain to install from source (if they're on PyPI at all - assorted
Fedora specific utilities aren't). But virtualenv doesn't work that
way by default, and the web/PaaS focused devs that write a lot of the
upstream "best practices" guidelines aren't typically fans of distro
provided packages because they're too old (scientific users often have
a similar complaint).

Playing peacemaker between the "move fast and break things" and "if
it's less than 5 years old it's still just a fad" schools of thought
is one of the things that makes packaging so "interesting" ;)

Cheers,
Nick.