[Distutils] wheel building help needed

Evgeny Sazhin eugene at sazhin.us
Wed Feb 5 23:20:32 CET 2014

Hi,

So, i'm trying to get around building the wheel using pip wheel and
I'm having some troubles with it. I would appreciate if you could
clarify some of the questions for me:

I have a structure like that:
./
wheel/
    __main__.py
    my/__init__.py
        cool/__init__.py
              package/prog.py
                        __init__.py
MANIFEST.in
setup.py
setup.cfg

Where setup.cfg has only
[wheel]
universal=1

Manifest has:

include wheel/__main__.py
recursive_include wheel *.py

I'm issuing "pip wheel ." and it does put a wheel with some generated
info in it into the ./wheelhouse, but there are issues:

1. No python files added, neither __main__.py nor prog.py make it to
the wheel, so includes are not working
2. Despite the fact that I have universal=1 there is no py2.py3 in the
name it says cp33-cp33m

Could anybody hint anything?

In addition to that I failed to find the rules for manifest and
setup.cfg files (acceptable sections, values, syntax) so i would
appreciate if anybody could share a link to the stuff.

Thanks a lot!
Eugene