[Distutils] wheel building help needed

Evgeny Sazhin eugene at sazhin.us
Thu Feb 6 06:37:34 CET 2014

On Feb 5, 2014, at 9:10 PM, Daniel Holth <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:

> You are probably just missing the package_dir argument to setup(),
> adequately documented at
> http://docs.python.org/2/distutils/examples.html
>
> Pass
>
>      package_dir={'': 'src'},
>
> to indicate that the root module starts in 'src'.
>
> MANIFEST.in is needed. It is always a bit awkward to write.

Thank you Daniel! I will definitely take a look at that.

I have to say though that this is one of the problems i have with the whole python packaging:
It is scattered all over the place. I’m importing setuptools in the setup.py to build wheel while i obviously miss some information about distutils?

I think it could be very beneficial to have it all moved under one umbrella project or wrapper or something like that. I as a user am interested in centralized thing that knows how to take care of everything i need in order to make a wheel.
Why not to have only setup.cfg (even better wheel.cfg)  that describes all necessary things including includes and package details and then have “wheel" command that knows to create it properly basing on this config? One config file, one dependencies file (requirements.txt) - one command that does the work = what the doctor ordered! No?

Thanks again,
Eugene