[Distutils] buildout bootstrap question

Eric V. Smith eric at trueblade.com
Tue Feb 18 12:41:31 CET 2014

On 2/17/2014 6:13 AM, Jim Fulton wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 10:46 PM, Eric V. Smith <eric at trueblade.com> wrote:
>> In older versions of bootstrap.py, the --setup-source option would let
>> me select an alternate source of ez_setup.py. I just downloaded a new
>> version today from http://downloads.buildout.org/2/bootstrap.py, and I
>> notice this option is gone. bootstrap always will download ez_setup from
>> http://downloads.buildout.org/2/bootstrap.py (assuming setuptools isn't
>> installed, which in my case it is not).
>>
>> I run buildout on machines that have access to my own internal http
>> servers, but do not have internet access. The requirement for internet
>> access breaks this setup.
>>
>> Is there some reason --setup-source was removed?
>
> I didn't know people needed it and was trying to reduce the complexity
> of the bootstrap source.  We can add it back,

While working up a patch for this, I realize that I'll also need to add
back --download-base to pass to ez_setup.use_setuptools.

Is the best way to do this to open an issue on
https://github.com/buildout/buildout, and create a fork with my proposed
changes? I'm not sure of the normal buildout workflow.

Eric.