[Distutils] Deleting legacy contents from core install guide?

Marcus Smith qwcode at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 23:50:01 CET 2014

> > I was thinking that #1 and #2 should disappear (or just provide a link to
> > the PUG).
> > I don't think you should bother to recreate any more guides in the
> > python.org docs.
> > The valuable "reference" content in #1 and #2 should be refactored into
> #3.
>
> To be explicit about one aspect of this process, I think content we
> want documented going forward should only be removed once the
> information has been added in its replacement form.  For example, for
> stuff moving to PUG, I don't think we should remove a section from
> "Distributing Python Modules" if the information we want there is not
> yet in PUG.

I agree, but again, my thinking is to refactor a lot of the content in #1
and #2, into #3, not necessarily move it to the PUG.
For example, details on the distutils install schemes and config files
would be in #3, not directly in the PUG.

> By the way, I noticed that PUG's "Installation & Packaging Tutorial"
> [1] is one section.  Shouldn't those be separate tutorials?  IIRC that
> information was in separate sections before (one for installing and
> one for packaging).

that's gone back and forth a bit.  at first it was 2 separate tutorials,
then 2 tutorials and quickstart, then just a quickstart, and I just
recently re-labeled the quickstart as a "tutorial" after a dicussion on
IRC, where it seemed odd to have a "quickstart" without a more detailed
tutorial later.   the tutorial is still developing.  maybe it could be
split into 2 pages later.   I'm more concerned with actually getting
content now.