[Distutils] The PEP 426 defined metadata version will be metadata 3.0

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 23:03:21 CET 2014

On 26 February 2014 21:51, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
> Well I don't really care if we do 3.0 or 2.0 it's just a number. I just mean
> that you shouldn't parse a pydist.json inside of a Wheel unless you know
> it's inside of a Wheel with Wheel-Version:
> Whatever-We-Formally-Add-Pydistjson-To-Wheel in.

pydist.json files appear in dist-info directories currently, as well.
Probably from installs of wheels (after all, installing a wheel
essentially just dumps everything into site-packages, including the
pydist.json). And there's no marker that I know of for the version of
a dist-info directory. (Actually, the WHEEL file is also in there, so
you could ignore pydist.json if there's also a WHEEL file saying
version 1.0, but that's more in the realm of heuristics than actual
standards-based rules...)

Paul