[Distutils] The PEP 426 defined metadata version will be metadata 3.0

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 01:28:12 CET 2014

On 27 Feb 2014 10:16, "Vinay Sajip" <vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> > PEP 425 explicitly covers that.
>
> It says "The version is py_version_nodot. CPython gets away with no dot,
but if one is needed the underscore _ is used instead. PyPy should probably
use its own versions here pp18, pp19".

> The "probably" leaves some room for doubt as to what exactly is meant:
both wheel and distlib use py_version_nodot, and the last sentence I quoted
looks provisional rather than definitive.

That's because API/ABI versioning is technically up to the individual
implementations. The PEP only mandates particular behaviour for CPython and
the implementation independent tags.

If if you want a definitive answer on that, ask the PyPy devs to write one
up.

I would have preferred to mandate behaviour based on sys.implementation,
but that still wouldn't have covered 2.x.

Cheers,
Nick.