[Distutils] migration path for entry_points?

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Jan 1 11:58:09 CET 2014

On 31 December 2013 22:53, Marcus Smith <qwcode at gmail.com> wrote:
> for #1, during installation, I imagine the new setuptools would build the
> sdist (and any entry_point declarations) using 2.0 metadata.

So assuming the package consuming the entry point converts to using
metadata 2.0 APIs (and does *not* try to have a compatibility mode
that falls back to the old setuptools format) users would be required
to use an up to date setuptools (installation with older setuptools
would be unsupported). Also they would need to reinstall SomeExtension
for it to be recognised by the new consumer.

> for #2, the pip installer would be responsible for converting
> "entry_points.txt" during the install (or maybe just forcing a "bdist_wheel"
> rebuild when it detects metadata < 2.0)

Again requiring users to be running a suitably recent pip and/or
setuptools and reinstall SomeExtension.

Presumably the new setuptools and pip would have to maintain both the
Metadata 2.0 format data and the old-style entry_points.txt format for
a period of compatibility. We should probably define the length of
that transition period as part of the plan for Metadata 2.0 going
live.

So there is some user impact, but it sounds like it's manageable. Cool.

Paul