[Distutils] PyPI classifier for standard library modules/backports?

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 2 23:20:55 CET 2014

> I guess my question then is "why do you
> care?" If 2to3 is run at install time then it's a
> cost, but it's one-time and if you really care you can
> always create your own wheel of the translated code or
> something.

Because I've written a packaging tool that doesn't use setup.py but instead uses a fully declarative format for building and installing packages, and I don't want that tool to run what can be a time-consuming step every time it installs certain packages, when that step isn't necessary. It's not a common use case, I grant you :-)

Regards,

Vinay Sajip