[Distutils] Metadata 2.0 and single-component version numbers

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 00:13:15 CET 2014

On 16 Jan 2014 02:24, "Paul Moore" <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> Metadata 2.0 doesn't support versions that are a single number.

Yes it does - that was one of the compatibility changes I made quite some
time ago. It's also listed as one of the differences relative to PEP 346.

The only things preventing me from accepting PEP 440 at this point are:

- needing an updated version parsing regex
- needing updated compatibility stats
- needing to discuss the idea of supporting version epochs, which are an
interesting way of allowing a shift from date based to semantic versioning
without order confusion (you include a leading "1:" to indicate a new
epoch, with "0:" as the implied default).

Cheers,
Nick.