[Distutils] Please do not remove dependency_links

Marcus Smith qwcode at gmail.com
Sat Jan 18 03:25:26 CET 2014

> Manually listing transitive dependencies seems like a step backwards to
> me. Isn't the whole point of setuptools/distutils that each component
> manages its own list of dependencies? How will this scale to dozens of
> transitive dependencies and busy development teams where dependencies are
> revved frequently. I really liked what Maven did for Java and therefore
> liked what pip is trying to do for Python.

just in case it's not clear, if you package everything and dump the tars
into a directory, then there's no listing everything, just maintain the
install_requires listings for each project.

it's just this:    pip install --find-links=/local/packages
 my-top-level-app==X.Y

but if you don't package, and pip stops processing dependency links, then
yes, you will end up putting all the vcs urls into one requirements file
per top-level app.