[Distutils] (no subject)

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 22 22:14:34 CET 2014

Come to think of it, my project "python-gnupg" (which I forked from some work that Richard and others did) has itself been forked, and the derivative project uploaded to PyPI as "gnupg". It's not a drop-in replacement, and I know of one instance where it has caused confusion. I have nothing against the other project, it's trying to do the same job - just not in a compatible way - which is what can lead to confusion.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip

 [Oops. I keep forgetting to
 check the bitbucket tracker for support issues which are
 intended to (and mostly do) go to the sourceforge
 tracker.]
 As the PyPI admin, I deal with naming issues that
 come up, which happens not too frequently thankfully.
 Usually they're resolved reasonably easily when I
 contact the author of the offending project. Indeed,
 yesterday I resolved an issue with someone uploading their
 own personal fork "kafka" which was confusing
 users of the project "python-kafka".

 I suspect Warehouse might have to grow a name
 blacklist or something though the administrative burden
 would probably become too much.

      Richard

 On 23 January 2014
 07:22, Marcus Smith <qwcode at gmail.com>