[Distutils] pip on windows experience

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 14:34:00 CET 2014

On 24 January 2014 20:09, Matthew Iversen <matt at notevencode.com> wrote:
> Might I suggest you could upload some wheels (both windows and linux) to
> testpypi, which afaik is pretty much made for this purpose?

Well, Windows and Mac OS X - we don't allow PyPI wheels for Linux at
the moment (since it turns out the compatibility tagging needs to be
updated to distinguish distros as well before that's a good idea),
although Armin Ronacher pointed out our documentation of that
limitation is rather lacking at this point in time :(

> https://wiki.python.org/moin/TestPyPI
>
> People can easily install then with e.g. `pip install --index-url
> https://testpypi.python.org/pypi numpy`, and see what tends to break or what
> doesn't.

And yes, using testpypi to experiment with wheels is a good idea.

Cheers,
Nick.