[Distutils] pip on windows experience

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 00:55:30 CET 2014

On 25 January 2014 23:36, Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> Those people currently either use the wininst installers (which I'm
>> *not* advocating that we remove) or they use virtualenvs,  and have the
>> view that they have to at a minimum jump through some hoops to get
>> numpy to work.
>
> I don't know if you're aware that recent versions of distil can convert bdist_wininst installers to wheels. The feature has not been extensively tested, but AFAIK it basically works. For example, with one of Christoph Gohlke's installers (I just happened to run the conversion on POSIX, it should work the same way on Windows):

Wheel convert also has that ability pretty much since the start - I
added the code for it </showoff>. But yes, it's what I meant by
"jumping through hoops"

Just for information, you can also convert the official numpy
superpack exes, but they are multiple wininsts combined in a single
exe, and you have to open them up in a zip manager, grab the
individual wininsts out, and convert the one you need. (If I recall
the process, it was some time ago and may have changed).

Paul