[Distutils] Using Wheel with zipimport

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 13:58:23 CET 2014

On 29 January 2014 21:50, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

> As a follow up, even if this becomes something we document and actually
> support, then it should be done in the next version of Wheel when people
> have the chance to discuss it. It should not be added ex post facto by
> a committer to the PEP repo just because they want Wheel to have it.

It was discussed during the approval process for the wheel format, I
approved it on the basis that wheels provided a superset of the
functionality of eggs. I merely missed the fact it wasn't properly
recorded in the PEP (which is now rectified).

You can campaign to deprecate that feature *if* we ever want to make a
change to the wheel format that is incompatible with it.

Cheers,
Nick.