[Distutils] PEP 427

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 15:06:40 CET 2014

On 29 January 2014 13:41, Evgeny Sazhin <eugene at sazhin.us> wrote:

> I have no knowledge about c extensions scope, but i feel like it might be of less importance then pure python packaging issues? Am I wrong?

Most interesting Python projects will end up with C dependencies
through things like NumPy, SQL Alchemy, GUI toolkits, image libraries,
etc. You can do a lot with pure Python and the standard library, but
interfacing with C is the norm rather than the exception the way it is
in Java.

> I'd think wheel should do everything in its power to provide pain free workflow for pure python, and if there is a need to add some C extension then solve that problem separately? Is the possibility to add C extension into the wheel so critical, that it should prohibit useful feature for pure python modules?

The Python culture and the Java culture is very different in that
regard - the JVM allows Java developers to almost completely ignore
the C runtime on a system. CPython, by contrast, integrates with that
C runtime directly, and this is then reflected in the ecosystem that
has built up around it.

So while there is some support for running without unpacking things to
disk, we generally prefer approaches that work seamlessly with C
extensions as well.

Cheers,
Nick.